Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Heavy

I got a call from my manager at work today while I was in class. I didn't have a chance to kcheck the message until around 5:15 when I was done with school for the day. I assumed (of course) that I was in some sort of trouble, and was relieved when my manager's message merely said to call her when I could because something had happened. Shortly after calling her, I wished that my original assumption had been correct. My co-worker Andy, a really smart, nice kid who I'd gotten to know since I started working at Proto's, died last night in a car wreck. He had recently turned 20. Alcohol was involved. I'm sitting here right now at my manager's house with a bunch of my coworkers, sipping Andy's favorite types of wine and trying to help each other through this ordeal. Personally, I am okay. I am sad, yes, but I didn't know Andy beyond a work level as many of my other coworkers/friends did. I mainly feel sad because I know what these people are feeling.

Fuck.

I love you guys, and I love the fact that I don't have to worry about any of you ending up in a similar situation to Andy's. I hope you know that you don't have to worry about me either.
Today helped me realize that the people I work with are also my friends (regardless of how much I complain), and I am very happy to have that kind of support. I felt that I needed to come to the blog first because you guys are my very first line of support, and I thank my lucky stars to be blessed with the Louds as my family. I'm sorry to bring the mood down in here, but obviously I needed to share this with you all. Take a second to acknowledge the existence of Andy Given if you can sometime. I love you all.

1 comment:

dad said...

Noah- We are so sorry to hear about Andy. I could go on about compassion for all the folks I don't know- the only thing I know for sure is that it's a good thing you're there. Unfortunately you have more than your share of having to deal with tragedy, but being of comfort to the family is of great consolation. Mom just told me she got a text message saying not to worry, that you're all right. I know you are, but it's good to hear nonetheless. We love you and are with you- honor Andy by staying on track. Mom and I took a moment to honor him from afar- love, dad & mom