Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life and more life! Not as awesome as Cody, but...

Some possible exciting MS news: Scientists reversed MS in mice. Here and here. Sounds like research is still years away from even trying this on humans, and it says it's only effective while MS is in its earliest stages, but you never know what the future may bring...

Also, more MS/health news.
I've had 7 infusions so far, 5 more to go (the next is on September 8) before going off Tysabri in order to ensure that PML does not infest my brainmeats and turn me into a superhero with x-ray vision. I spoke with Dr. Vollmer about this exciting (?) new transition this past Monday the 24th of August. For the last 3 months of the treatment, I'm going to be overlapping Tysabri and Copaxone in order to avoid a "rebound" effect from going off of Tysabri. In addition, the good Doctor said that there is no problem with going off Tysabri and then going back on it at some point later in life; meaning, the body doesn't build up a resistance to it. Also, the negative effect that I felt from Copaxone is apparently part of how the drug works, and is one of the reasons some people go off of it; the injection sites were so itchy, for me, that I would unconsciously itch deep bruises into my legs and arms. It is an allergic reaction that is part of its effectiveness. I don't know; maybe I can take benedryl concurrently with my injection to lower the effects, or maybe I'm doomed! Doomed to a life of unending itchyness!

By the way, don't try to read patient reviews of MS medication. It makes me want to move into a cave and just let the disease take me because so many people have had such bad reactions... Anyway.

So, everything's going great in our new apartment. It's close enough to being "complete" that we've gotten pretty behind on putting in the finishing touches--hanging pictures, putting the last few things away, etc. Every week we make plans to finish it up but every week something comes up. It doesn't help that the only day off we have together is Sunday. But Eventually, We Will Prevail.

Noah, I'm starting to use the shampoo that you and Cici got me for my birthday tomorrow (I wanted to finish the stuff I was using before switching) and I'll keep you updated on how awesome it is. Though the bottles are so small I may actually end up saving them for travel shampoos. =)

In other news, everything's going well with Branden's job. It's demanded some late nights from him recently, but it's the good kind of working late. He's going to be getting a promotion/raise after they complete the project they're on, so that's exciting.

Branden's brothers are safely in Longmont. Their new apartment is very cute, sort of like a mini-Horizons. The apartment is very small but nicely designed, with in-unit washer dryer and on-site workout facilities, very exciting. I'm so happy those guys are on their feet again and doing well.

Branden and I went up to Placerville, CA a few weekends ago to visit his grandparents. His grandpa is in bad shape; they're pretty sure he has Parkinson's though he doesn't have the classic Parkinson's symptoms. He's not able to walk anymore (really, not able to move at all without assistance), so he stays in his hospital bed all day, except when the nurses come to bathe him. He's pretty demented as well. Branden's grandma spends all day in the house, trying to feed him and make sure he's comfortable. Her life is very focused now, and she doesn't have anything to say that doesn't have to do with Grandpa and his illness, so being there was very hard for me. I only went into Grandpa's room once, but I couldn't stand to see the state he was in, so I left after just a few seconds. It was really sad, more than anything else, so it was probably a good thing that Grandma shooed us out of the house more of the time than we were in it, to go to Lake Tahoe and Sacramento. Those parts were fun.

Work's going fine, nothing really to report there. Squish and Tayler are now allowed out of the house on their own; Squish likes going out at all times of day but Tayler only wants to go out after dark. Last Saturday, Squish killed a bunny on our balcony--a baby bunny, about the size of a hamburger. I heard a weird thump and went to open the door, and there was Squish and the bunny, who was on its side kicking itself around in a circle. We think Squish must have broken its back because we didn't see any blood. It died pretty fast and we cleaned it up; it was with a heavy heart that I named Squish "mighty hunter" and gave him an admonishment to only kill things he wanted to eat. I don't think he got it.

Pretty much every night since then I've had to go out and collect Squish at about 10pm because I hear him yodeling, which is the sound he makes when he's establishing his territory to another cat or similarly large animal that he hesitates to attack outright. Every time I've gone out to get him, he seems pretty thankful that I was able to remove him from the situation without hurting his pride. Silly cat. If he doesn't want to fight, he should be less territorial.

My workout routine has been sporadic at best because I seem to have misplaced my iPod. I don't like working out without it =(

Anyway, that's about all I have to say for now. I love you guys! Hope everything's awesome forever!

3 comments:

Branden Conley said...

Slight correction on what Elly said. We thought for a long time that my Grandpa had Parkinson's, but it turns out it is actually Multiple System Atrophy (see link).

Mom said...

HeyHey---SO GREAT to read your writing again. We'z back on the blog!! This is great.

Codeface said...

Yes, but how did the bunny taste? Love you!