Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Taking this Caveman thing a bit too far . . .




Well, this past Monday was a doosie . . . not as busy as it was supposed to be, but crazy none the less! After getting just a few hours of sleep, I woke up at 2am for a 2:45 make-up call for this "viral video shoot". Two and a half hours in the make-up room, a pot of coffee, and an hour drive later, I found myself in the desert-the crew was hustling to get set up for a sunrise shoot.

The spot was about a caveman who was frustrated by technology (it's for a French Product called "The Hubster"), so he hauls his TV, clock radio, picture frames, and Internet router out into no man's land, and smashes them all with a bone. What a blast. I found myself mostly naked in primitive glory monkeying around and crushing things with the thigh bone of (I'm assuming) a cow. I've always had a sort of daydream/fantasy about being able to smash up a store with a baseball bat . . . there is something so satisfying about wrecking havoc . . . and it was nice to be able to sort of play out that fantasy in the desert.

The shoot went much longer than I anticipated, so I ended up missing another audition (for a student film, no big whoop), and also my first day of the new session at Groundlings. I hate missing class, but this was the first one I've missed out of three sessions. Later in the afternoon, I auditioned for Duraflame, and had a really good audition. This commercial spot felt a lot like the Comcast spot I did last year . . . just a slightly older version. We'll see.

After that, it was up to NYFA (New York Film Academy) for another student film audition, then off to an evening bootcamp.

Yesterday, we spent time getting the house ready for weekend guests . . . still so much to be done! Nothing too pressing, just using this weekend visit from the Lane Ladies as an excuse to finish projects that we seem to talk about, but never quite get around to doing. I got a call from my agent for a same-day audition for Sprint, and hustled out in the early afternoon . . . sounded like fun . . . supposed to dress "like flight of the Conchords" and bring my guitar. It wasn't until I got to the casting office that I realized that I was expected to play and sing . . . "Take Me On" by the Ah-ha's. This was not a good experience. Painful for all involved. Oh well.

Last night, we drove down to Anaheim for a screening of a film I was on in Minneapolis. "Mysterious Ways" was accepted into the "Indiefest" movie festival. Though turnout was very small, and the quality in the theatre was not great, it was fun nonetheless. This marks the third time I've seen my work on a big screen, and though I was nauseous, I haven't left the theatre in tears yet. More, more, more!

Boot camp is over this morning, and it's off to the Groundlings. Will there be laughs today? I guarantee it!

Love

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wow...Awesome. Way fun. Rock On!!

Branden Conley said...

Awesome. When this commercial airs, you should totally send us a youtube video.

The picture of you with the forehead AND the glasses is hilarious.