Thursday, September 10, 2009

BBQ and Workout Routine

Hello Fam! Small news post today.

First off, my tooth-related New Month Resolution is holding up under pressure. Haven't missed any days in the Month of September so far. My teeth are singing, and that's awesome.

The New Month Resolution regarding working out hasn't been so easy to uphold. First day of workout was last Friday; Saturday I had to Wii Fit instead of going to the gym and while that's good, it's not AS good. Sunday I had a nice 70-minute bike ride, which definitely counted, Monday we cleaned for 5 hours and I called that a workout. Tuesday I didn't do anything physical because I had the infusion and then D&D... and BBQ, but let me get to that in a sec.

But Wednesday... ah Wednesday. I had made (tentative?) plans with Shad to work out that evening, but I know that Shad can be flakey so I was planning on working out that morning. However, I didn't get myself out of bed in time for that. Happily, Shad was as good as his word and showed up at about 6:30 for our workout, only to find out that his cat had peed on his workout bag!!! Ugh!!! But the in-unit washer/dryer to the rescue... a mere hour and a half later his clothes were washed, dried, unstinky and ready to go, so we headed over to the rec center. The machine that I used was a wee bit broken (crossramp couldn't be raised/lowered), but it was a great workout anyway. Afterwards, we staggered back home and watched Branden play video games for a while, then had dinner together. All in all, a very fun night.

This morning, I got up at 7:15 (should have been out the door by then, but better late than never) and headed over to the rec center again. Sadly, I had to use the broken elliptical machine again (but I had reported it to the manager the night before, so it should be getting fixed today or tomorrow), but again, a very good workout. Home again for an AWESOME shower (that's the best thing about working out--the subsequent shower feels SO good), breakfast, and off to work, and here I am!

I'm hoping to start my workouts earlier, about 6:30, in hopes of Sarah joining me, and Joe and Branden if they don't have to leave for work super-early. However, I'm happy to be doing them at all at this point.

Okay, so BBQ. We bought an awesome gas grill before Branden got sick, and we finally put it together on Monday. We decided to host a BBQ on Tuesday before D&D since B & I had the day off; so we grilled up some burgers, brats, and veggie burgers. Carlie brought corn on the cob and Rachel brought grapes and strawberries, and we had ourselves a bit of a feast. Overall, a roaring success!!! I am VERY happy with our grill. The grill bits are removeable porcelain-covered steel with a removeable grease trap, so it was relatively easy to clean in the sink with a scrubby. So much fun!

I believe it was that night that Squish caught a mouse-thing out on the patio. It didn't look like a pet store mouse, more like a mouse-sized gerbil; it had a short furry tail rather than a long pink tail. But I think that might be what wild mice look like. Anyway, he's getting to be quite the rodent-killer. However, with every rodent-kill he scores, he goes out and tries to pick fights with bigger cats.

I had decided that the way he interacts with strange cats was natural territory-marking and that if he could establish his territory with a given cat, he may then be able to be playmates with the cat. So, my new policy had been, only if there are two cats yowling at each other (meaning that the other cat yowls back) would I go out and break it up. The second cat yowling would mean that the second cat did not accept Squish's assertion of territory and was willing to fight about it; staying quiet means they don't want to contest it. Last night, while I was out working out, apparently Squish tried to pick a fight with an "enormous" black cat, and that cat was having none of his posturing. Branden broke it up, whew.

So... anyway. That's about it for now. I love you guys!

No comments: