Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Decisions, Decisions. . .

Well, I had planned to post some more photos in this blog, but iphoto is "rebuilding" it's "thumbnail cache". You all know how long that takes (and what an pain in the seat it is)!!! I don't get my computer sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it's smarter than I am-especially about what it wants or needs. Our human/computer thearapy sessions have helped me realize that.

So.

I got in at the Strawhat auditions. I'm both excited and a bit nervous about them. I booked my ticket yesterday, and I'll be in NYC from March 21-26th, with my audition on the 23rd (my long-time favorite number . . . perchance that's a good sign?) There are supposed to be between 60 and 80 theater companies represented, looking to cast their summer seasons. I've been doing my reasearch on the companies that are commited so far, and I'd say about 90% of them have summer seasons full of musicals. Even with these outrageous odds, I plan on presenting 2 contrasting monologues, rather than a song and a monologue that I'm sure most of the auditioners will be presenting. I get 90 seconds to audition, and I feel that 16 bars of a showtune would do nothing to show off my style. I'll most likely be doing a Shakespearean monologue, and something a bit racey from Eric Begosian. You know. I'm hoping that there will be some opportunities to sign on with a Shakespeare Summer Stock Company . . . that sounds like a great way to spend a summer.

The Diamond Circle Melodrama is one of the companies attending the audition. As it turns out, they have a parent company-the Great American Melodrama-located in California. I sent off a promo packet (letter of intrest and headshot/resume), letting them know that a hometown boy was auditioning friday at 2:35. I was supprised by their contracts . . . 200-400 per week. Much better than I had expected. That would be pretty cool. Working in Durango for the summer, that is. Artistically, I don't have many designs on Melodrama, but I probably wouldn't refuse that offer. In hindsight, I maybe shouldn't have mentioned that they'd be at the audition . . . we should be weary of getting any hopes up.

So, that's on the horizon.

Tomorrow, it's down to Chicago again, then off to Vegas on friday. Wish me luck. As you know, my plan is to win a lot of money early, then squander it away for the remainder of the weekend. I've set myself a limit . . . now if I can just stick to it! Noah-I was wondering if you had one, or if you would like me to try and snap a more recent pic of Skep's daugher for you? Let me know. (I hear that you're real busy, by the way, and I hope you're keeping it all together in Denver, my man!) Should be a fun weekend. Plus, I plan on popping in on Olivia again, see how she's doing. Scott and I are driving down, so I'll finally be able to bring some homebrew to a family member!

Speaking of Brewing, We just bottled a Steam Ale (Happy Pappy's Revenge), and a Rye Beer (Rye ask Rye). Coming up next, we've got a remake of a chile beer (Beerito Supreme), and a remake of a Ginger Ale (MaryAnn Ginger). Up next to be brewed is an experimental "Butterbeer" a la Harry Potter. To be honest with you, the grains have been sitting for too long, and I don't expect that beer to be especially palatable. Of course, I'll let you know.

So, upon returning from Vegas (no doubt with cash falling from overstuffed pockets), I've got 2 weeks before NYC. After that trip . . . who knows . . . could be 1-3 months before any contracts start, or perhaps none at all! The point is, I've got to start looking for a Civilian Job again. Rats. It's tough right now, because I don't know what I can commit to. And, what with it being the later part of Winter, there's not a huge amount of hiring going on right now. What's a boy to do? I'll figure something out.

I had more to add . . . looking toward the end of the summer/(summerstock?), and weighing the pros and cons of moving to either NY or LA, but I'm going to have to jump into those musings later . . . they're sort of amorphous in my head right now.

In the meantime, I'm still hitting the gym more often than not-Elly, how's it going? I'm starting to get a bit of muscular definition, and I've been doing plenty of cardio, but I haven't quite been dropping a pound a week. I think that I need to add a more structured diet into the mix. I feel like I've been eating pretty well, but there are occational lapses of gastronomical restraint.

I'm glad to hear that a photographer has been chosen. That should just about wrap up the list no? Let's see . . . Bride, Groom, Judge, Photographer . . . Yep! That's it! It's all down hill from here!

Hope everyone is doing well . . . getting through classes and jobs and such. I think of you all with every bon-bon I eat!

Love

2 comments:

E-bone said...

working out's going well. I go around 2-3 times a week. Last night I discovered that the sides of my stomach are rock hard (you could hurt your fingers poking me). :) I've lost 5.5 lbs, feeling pretty good about it. Snowing here today, whoopie. Will post soon. hugs and kisses!

Anonymous said...

StrawHat here. In the interest of accuracy, the current number of attending theatres is about 30, not 60-80. We range from 25 - 35 in the last couple of years.

Good luck at the auditions!