Friday, February 2, 2007

The Freezing Midwest

Where to Begin . . .

So, one week ago I was in Milwaukee. It was 10am and I was just getting back to my hotel room from an early morning of TV interviews. In the world of self-promotion and low-budget advertising, I found myself on the same morning-television circut as a frumpy yoga instructor and a group of oversized stuffed animals that were part of some local author's latest children's book campaign. Such odd relationships are formed in those early morning hours inside television studio greenrooms. . .

My hotel in Milwaukee was right downtown, and just a few blocks from the local YMCA . . . which meant that I was able to get plenty of working out in on this trip. It's tough sometimes when I'm on the road to get out of a vacation mindset, and having a gym nearby made it easy to stay on task. I was also only a few blocks from the Historic Pabst theatre, the site of rapidly forthcoming caveman defending!

This Theatre was beautiful . . . and a historic national landmark, which means it had been in continual use for which it was intended since it's inception over a hundred years ago. Not to get all hippy-dippy, but sometimes in these old spaces, you can literally feel the history; the potential energy literally vibrates in the space. It's about 750 seats, and acoustically amazing. Captain Pabst . . . Ship's captain-cum-Brewmaster . . . is responsible for funding one of the coolest spaces I've been lucky enough to perform in. Thank god for Brewmasters huh?

The pictures didn't turn out as grand as I had hoped, but you might get the sense. The shows-Friday and Saturday Night-were great. I personally turned in about a B or C grade show, but the audience loved it. Standing O on Sold-out friday night, and about half of an O on 90% Satuday night. They loved me in Milwaukee. I had such a nerdy feeling toward the theatre that I bounced up on Saturday Morning and took a tour of the place. The tour was led by one of our Daughters of the Revolution, and was only moderately cool. I think that I always want to hear the gritty historical stories . . . the "you know, there was only one lone survivor here when . . ." stories, rather than the,"it was on this stage that Liberace began his ascent to stardom" stories. Ah well, it was entertaining none the less.

On Sunday last, I hopped a train for the quick jaunt (60 min) down to Chicago where I met baby Olivia. Man, was she tiny!

Dustin and Kelly are doing great (I was expecting them to be a bit more bamboozled by the whole thing, but they seem to be adjusting to famlihood in a very smooth way), and it was only Zeke who looked slightly more tired. On Monday, D went to work, and Kelly took a much-needed trip to the Gym which left me alone as the Babysitter for a while. Now, there's not much to do when watching a 3-week old . . . just hope that they don't wake up. I did my best to start corrupting Little Olivia during that 90 minute session, and I'm pretty sure I planted some good seeds . . . I repeated my name to her about a million times, so it's in that little brain somewhere, and with any luck, her first word will be "Cody". Take that Cousins!

Monday Night, I hung out with some friends, and I made it back to Minny on Tuesday in time to help the Grim Sweepers notch another victory on the Broomball ice. Also, added another in the Win column for the Bad News Brooms last night, so broomball is going great! Aside from that, there's a good chance I'll find myself Contra dancing with Godmother Boo tomorrow night. Sweet Jeasus. And sometime over the next couple of days, I'll have to get this house cleaned before the big Superbowl party here on Sunday. Awesome.

So there it is in a nutshell. I'm glad to hear about the physical therapy, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it . . . what it involves, etc. Also, we've been waiting to hear the outcome of the Trial! I can only assume that justice has been served!

Love you guys, and talk to you soon!

No comments: