Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Washington

It's gorgeous here. I've been out in this area a couple of times before, but I think I have a new perspective on it after touring Europe a bit. I had forgotten how cosmopolitan Seattle it. . . but I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. Let me start over.

Hello Family-

I've been thinking about you guys a lot recently, and hope everyone is doing great. I got into Seattle and subsequently drove the 40 minutes up to Everett on Friday. Helped with the load-in Friday afternoon, and then delivered Hay-makers Friday Night. The theatre here is another old, old place (circa 1902), and it feels like a cave. It's got a strange vibe though . . . tough to explain. As we were doing the light hang, I was surprised by Jim Wiener (basically our new boss). He came in for the show, and I was excited to have someone from the company to be there. I had the opportunity to get into his ear a bit that night, and while it was great, it's also a tiny bit discouraging . . . more of the same. The show is selling really well, but the thick part of the schedule doesn't begin until the fall. Until we're working full-time, health coverage is not an option. Patience. Patience.

On Saturday, Issac Lamb-one of my mentor cavemen who's based in Portland-drove up to shoot some b-roll footage for commercials. Pretty impressive. Issac is 26, and he just lost over 100lbs in just under a year. It was like seeing a different person. I love the opportunity to have other cavemen see my show, and I was lucky enough to have both Issac and Jim there on Saturday night. Felt a bit like a company. The show went great, and by the way, we taped it to have future b-roll material for me as well.

I've been a bit sniffly for the past couple of days. I don't have a full-blown cold, but a little sick, I think. That has hindered some of my grandiose plans, but not all of them. I've managed to get to the local YMCA every day, which is about the hottest spot here in everett. Yesterday was a big day. I took a tour of the Boeing plant (the only place in North America where you can see jets being built) and the "Future of Flight" Museum. It was cooler than I expected. Turns out the Boeing plant here in Everett is the largest Building in the world (by volume), and it sure felt that way. It's impressive to see these jets go together, but a bit nerve-wracking at the same time. . . it takes about 5 months (currently) to assemble a 777 jet aircraft, but I'd almost rather it took a full year . . . you know, to wrap it in Kevlar and whatnot. Most of the museum and the tour was dedicated to talking about the upcoming 787 model jet which will apparently be revolutionizing flight. It's pretty cool . . . more passenger room, lightweight composite materials for lower-cost flights, more efficient fuel consumption. Keep your eyes peeled for the "Dreamliner". Wow. What a nerd.

After the tour, I bopped back down into the city for a few hours. Hit pikes place market and the Wharf a bit. It was great. Beautiful weather (t-shirt?), and tons of people out for some good people-watchery. I mostly just hoofed around gawking. I of course made my 2nd or 3rd pilgrimage to the first ever Starbucks, and watched the dudes throwing fish around, and had a delicious bowl of clam chowder. Then it was back up here to Everett for an evening workout. Word.

So, today I had planned on taking a long drive and exploring Olympic National Park, but to tell you the truth, I didn't feel up to it. I woke up a bit late and my nose is still running. . . so I think I'm going to go spend some time at the gym and then do some laundry and maybe catch a movie. I'm having a difficult time with this decision . . . feel like I should take in as much of this area as I can while I can, but whatever. I guess I'll get over it.

Hope you guys are great, and I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: