Monday, January 8, 2007

Nanu Nanu

Before I blog, I found this on wikipedia:

Factors triggering a relapse

Multiple sclerosis relapses are often unpredictable and can occur without warning with no obvious inciting factors. Some attacks, however, are preceded by common triggers. In general, relapses occur more frequently during spring and summer than during autumn and winter. Infections, such as the common cold, influenza, and gastroenteritis, increase the risk for a relapse. Emotional and physical stress may also trigger an attack, as can severe illness of any kind. Statistically, there is no good evidence that either trauma or surgery trigger relapses. People with MS can participate in sports, but they should probably avoid extremely strenuous exertion, such as marathon running. Heat can transiently increase symptoms, which is known as Uhthoff's phenomenon. This is why some people with MS avoid saunas or even hot showers. However, heat is not an established trigger of relapses.

Pregnancy can directly affect the susceptibility for relapse. The last three months of pregnancy offer a natural protection against relapses. However, during the first few months after delivery, the risk for a relapse is increased 20%–40%. Pregnancy does not seem to influence long-term disability. Children born to mothers with MS are not at increased risk for birth defects or other problems.[12]

Many potential triggers have been examined and found not to influence relapse rates in MS. Influenza vaccination is safe, does not trigger relapses, and can therefore be recommended for people with MS. There is also no evidence that hepatitis B, varicella, tetanus, or Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG - immunization for tuberculosis) increases the risk for relapse.[13] In fact, recent studies have shown that the tetanus vaccine may actually have a protective effect against the development of MS.



Elly- read it and pay attention to the parts ab0ut heat (sauna, showers, etc.) and the vaccinations.



I am feeling like SH#@ today! 2nd day of the cold, and I'm hoping that I am at the peak of rock-bottom (huh?). I'm fine though, just sneezing and sore throat and whatnot....HOW COME ELLY GETS ALL THE ATTENTION HUH???? Just kidding of course. The show was sweet the other night! We brought more people than any of the other acts, and were paid accordingly (a whole $10 apiece- needless to say, I bought myself something pretty). I'm getting back in the groove of performing, but I still have losing-my-voice issues. Work is fine, minus the sickness, and there's not much else that is noteworthy at this time. Delia came down for the show, and is coming down to visit for a few days tomorrow as well. Between you guys, Ricky, and Delia, I am managing not to let the Joneses get me down, at least for the time being. I miss you guys. I am officially blogged-out!

No comments: